Having Chromebooks in the classroom can be a huge benefit to both your students and yourself. Technology allows you to provide more resources for your students, lend students help, and focus on student-centered learning. Technology also comes with its challenges. Students get can be distracted and not want to pay attention to the lesson. Facing those challenges might be what brought you over to our blog.
Thankfully, there are solutions to keep your students on track while using their Chromebooks in your classroom.
Develop Basic Ground Rules
Before giving your students access to their computers, develop ground rules on what is an acceptable use of the devices. Have your students help you develop these ground rules so they feel like they are involved.
Develop Consequences for Negative Behavior and Rewards for Good Behavior
After establishing ground rules, develop consequences for negative behavior and reward for good behavior. How do you respond to students being off-task while on their devices? How about when they are on task? What motivates students to do their work?
Implement a Classroom Management Software System
Classroom management software systems are a great way to keep your students on task while on their devices. Netop’s classroom management software Vision allows you to monitor and manage your students’ devices in real-time. Vision features include:
- View Student Screens – See everything your students see on their computers. At a glance, see who is on task and who needs assistance.
- Share Teacher’s Screens – Facilitate learning by sharing your screen on every student device. No need for projectors and handouts – give everyone a front-row view.
- Showcase Student – Students can display their screens directly on the other student computers, practicing their presentation skills and enhancing collaboration.
- Blank Screens – Refocus student attention with the push of a button, locking screens and keyboards.
- Web Filter – You decide which websites are available or off-limits
- Send a message – Redirect a student when they are off task or need a little extra help.
You can try Vision for free! No credit card required.
To learn more about Chromebooks in the classroom, check out 5 Things Students do in the Chromebook Classroom That You Can't See and Keeping Your Students Focussed on the Lesson at Hand.